It seemed like yesterday when we talked about installing Windows 10, and instead, it’s already been – about – 6 years. Windows 11 was recently announced, the version of the Microsoft operating system closest to macOS in terms of UI, which introduces various security implementations and which makes itself compatible with modern technological standards.
In this guide, we will see the different aspects of Windows 11, its requirements, and its prominent features. I will also investigate the possible download and installation possibilities (following the official guidelines).
Release date and prices
At the time of writing, there is no exact release date for Windows 11. However, it appears that the OS release is scheduled for December 2021, during the Christmas period.
Windows 11 will therefore be present on the new desktop and notebook PCs starting from 2022. While it will be available for updates on all devices that meet the hardware and software requirements (see below).
The good news is that the Windows 11 download will be free for all compatible devices that already have Windows 10. For new license purchases, however, the price list has not yet been released. However, I imagine that the costs of the licenses remain in line with those – current – related to the licenses of Windows 10 (but it is not a certainty).
The core features of Windows 11 are based on three principles: simplicity, creativity and productivity . The GUI (graphical interface) has been optimized to make the user experience easier and more intuitive.Advertising
In particular, the following will be introduced:
- A new start menu by connecting to the cloud and Microsoft 365;
- A new taskbar;
- New fonts, sounds and notification types;
- Different types of layouts for apps: Snap Layout, Snap Groups and Desktop (for optimized multitasking);
- Windows 11 performance improvements in (DirectX 12 Ultima support, DirectStorage, Auto HDR);
- Support for multiple virtual desktops and individual customization;
- Teams chat integration in the taskbar;
- More intuitive news panel and widgets, for an advanced collection of information, data and news;
- New Microsoft Store with integration of Android apps.
- Advanced security and compatibility with the Zero Trust model;
- Support for Wifi 6E, 5G, BitLocker To Go, Hyper-V client, two-factor authentication and Windows Projection.
In addition, full compatibility of Windows 11 with apps developed for Windows 10 has been announced (the App Assure service will be exploited).Advertising