When it comes to the best accounting software, the very first name that strikes everyone is QuickBooks. It is an ideal solution that monitor accounting data and also offer real time tracking of the business state. Not only this, there are a lot of features that rolls in with this amazing accounting software. The simplicity of the platform makes it pretty much easy for users to work on it. However, in spite of some great features, the software at time gets tangled up in messy error situations, which be pretty much annoying for the users. One such annoying error that we are going to discuss about today is the QuickBooks error 6189, 816. This sort of error is seen when you tries to access the company file from a network device in a multi-user mode.
A detailed view of QuickBooks error code 6189, 816 will be seen in this post. Thus, make sure that you read this post till the end carefully. Moreover, you can also ask the accounting professionals to fix the error on your behalf, especially if you feel that tackling this issue is out of your league. and our professionals will be happy to help you.
You might also see: Fix QuickBooks Error 3371 Status code (License Error)
What is QuickBooks error code 6189, 816?
Before you dig in deep and learn the fixes of this error, it is better to first unleash the facts related to it. QuickBooks error code 6189, 816 is basically a run-time error. It can be seen when you tries to open the company file. It comes up with an error message on the screen stating as:
An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file (-6189, -816),
This issue indicates any kind of error with the multi-user network and not with the accounting data. Thus, it can be resolved easily. You need to ensure that you have the QuickBooks file storage instructions in place. There can be a bunch of possible reasons causing this error, which will be discussed below along with the fixation methods.
Factors leading to the QuickBooks error 6189
There are a couple of factors that could drive you to this error, namely:
- Missing or damaged QuickBooks components can be one major factor.
- If the company file on a network computer is in use by a program or a process.
- Also, accessibility issues with the company file or folder on QuickBooks host system can be a common factor.
- In case you mistakenly deletes the important drivers from the system needed for running QuickBooks, then this blunder could lead you to this error.
- If another client signed into the company file in single-user mode, then this error could be faced.
- Any kind of issue with the QuickBooks registry values in windows registry.
- Or if the operating system is affected with any sort of antivirus.
- Damaged network data source file on the QuickBooks server or host system.
- There might be a trouble with the QB hosting processes.
And a couple of other factors might lead to this annoying error.
Read Also: How to solve QuickBooks error H202?
Quick fixes to QuickBooks Error 6189, 816 when opening company file
In case you detect an error message that we mentioned above, then here are a few methods that you can opt for in order to get rid of the QuickBooks error code 6189. Let us have a look at the methods one by one:
Solution 1: Run Quick fix my program from the QuickBooks tool hub
In this method, you need to download the QuickBooks tool hub program and then run Quick fix my program.
Step 1: Download and install QuickBooks tools hub program
- For this, you need to close the QuickBooks software.
- And then download the QuickBooks tools hub file and save it where it can be accessed easily.
- After that, you need to open the file downloaded file (QuickBooksToolHub.exe).
- Follow the onscreen steps to install and agree to the terms and conditions.
- When the install finishes, you need to double click the icon on the windows desktop.
Step 2: Now run Quick fix my program
- In order to run the Quick fix my program, you need to open the QuickBooks tool hub and then select program problems.
- After that choose quick fix my program.
- Followed by starting the QuickBooks desktop and opening the data file.
Solution 2: Moving the company files to the local drive
- You are recommended to move the company file to the local hard drive, if the error continues and also if the company file is stored on a removable drive or online.
- You can store QuickBooks files, on the server system’s hard drive. However, the online file hosting services including Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. might seem convenient, but are prone to issues.
- Also you are recommended to avoid storing the files on removable drives, as they aren’t designed in a way to run QuickBooks or multi-user networks. Another important thing is to avoid encrypting the QuickBooks files on the hard drive storing them, as it can block the multi-user network connection.
See Also: Methods to Fix QuickBooks Error code 6000, 83
Solution 3: Run QuickBooks database server manager
The server system stores that QuickBooks files, whereas the other systems are the workstations. If you are hosting your own network, then in that case the QuickBooks database server manager will help to keep the multi-user network stable. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- Open the tool hub program and the first step is to select the network issues.
- Next, select QuickBooks database server manager. Now you will be asked to install the QuickBooks software on the server, if not already.
- After that, inside the database server manager, you need to opt for the start scan option, if you can see the company files. Or else can browse to the location and then click on start scan option.
- Now the database server manager will fix the firewall permissions on its own. And then hit close, once the process ends.
- The last step is to open QuickBooks.
Corrupted windows drive
In case the error continues, then it might be due to damaged windows drive being used for QuickBooks. You can download or run a new window drive update utility to update or run Windows drive. In case you are unable to do so, then you can take help from any specialist or master/professional.
Solution 4: Restarting the systems and the servers
At times the whole system demands a full reset. The steps to be followed in such situation are as follows:
- You need to restart the server computer.
Important: It is very much important to find out where the company file is hosted. If you are making use of the QuickBooks enterprise hosting rather than the server system, then you can consult a professional to help you out in restarting.
- Reboot the workstations.
- Open QuickBooks desktop on the server system.
- And then open QuickBooks on each of the workstations.
Related article: How to set up QuickBooks Desktop to work from home?
Solution 5: Downloading and running QuickBooks Refresher tool
You are recommended to download and run the QuickBooks refresher on the system facing the issue. This process will close all the background programs that might be the reason for the error. This also refreshes all the process:
- Initially, download the QuickBooks refresher and then install all the files from it. You are then recommended to save the files to access them easily.
- After that keep a check whether no other task is running on the QuickBooks desktop.
- You are then recommended to check and close all the versions of QuickBooks running on the system.
- And then, you need to double click on the QBRefresher.exe file to run the program.
- Also, the QBRefresher runs in 30 seconds, follow the onscreen instructions.
- The final step is when the installation is finished, you will have to reopen QuickBooks desktop.
But if in case the issue persists, we recommend you to opt for full reset.
Solution 6: Backing up and restoring the file
- You need to first create a backup file on the old system.
- And then, copy all backup files to the new system:
- With the help of flash drive or another external device
- It can use a network, if the systems are connected.
- You are required to restore the backup on the new system.
Solution 7: Manually resolve the error 6189, 816
- You need to search out the transaction log file and then rename it.
- And also, verify users permission endowed to QBDataServiceUserXX for the QuickBooks application.
- After that confirm that the QuickBooks files are not encrypted.
- You need to create a replica of the QB file and then paste it on the desktop.
- Lastly, if the file still can’t open then move to the folder where it was allocated earlier.
Read this also: Find the solution of QuickBooks error 6147, 0
We have tried our best to sum up the possible rectification methods in this post, but if in case you continue to face the QuickBooks error 6189, 816 issue, then need not to worry, as we will be there to rescue you in all situations. You can definitely rely upon our QuickBooks enterprise technical support team for the best possible assistance in hardly anytime. We understand the value of your time, so we ensure that your software becomes error free as soon as possible.
whenever you feel the need. Our U.S bases accounting professionals and ProAdvisors will ensure to provide you immediate assistance.