Are you feeling tired of battling dull and dry skin? Well, your predicament is completely understandable because the itchy, irritated feel of dry skin tends to feel too difficult to manage. So, book appointment online with a dermatologist near you, look at a few simple ways to take care of your dry skin.
1. The best dermatologist Pune advises against frequent showers and baths
Frequent showers and baths can worsen your dry skin. If your skin starts feeling dry or the humidity starts dropping, make sure to:
- Close your bathroom door
- If you want to use warm water, go for lukewarm instead of hot water
- Stay in the bath or shower for about five to ten minutes
- Use a fragrance-free, gentle cleanser at all times
- Use enough cleanser for removing oil and dirt but don’t use so much that a thick lather builds up
- Gently blot the skin dry using a towel, instead of rubbing it
- Apply moisturizer right after drying the skin
2. Use moisturizer right after taking a bath and washing your face
Lotions, creams, and ointments work to trap the existing moisture in the skin. If you want to trap the much-needed moisture, it is better to use a moisturizer within a couple of minutes of:
- Washing your hands or face
- Drying yourself after a bath or shower
3. The best dermatologist Pune suggests using a cream or ointment
It is always better to use a cream or ointment instead of a lotion because the former is less irritating and more effective than the latter. Also, consider an ointment or cream that has at least more than one of the given ingredients:
- Jojoba oil
- Lactic acid
- Hyaluronic acid
- Shea butter
- Mineral oil
If you want to battle dry hands, make sure to keep a non-greasy hand ointment with you and use it each time after you wash your hands.
4. Wear a light coat of lip balm to keep the lips soft
Select a good-quality lip balm that feels light on the lips. When your lips tingle or sting after applying your lip balm, stop using the product. Also, remember to apply a thin layer of lip balm instead of lathering it on.
5. Go for only fragrance-free, gentle skincare products
Some of the skincare products, like deodorant soaps, feel too harsh for sensitive, dry skin. Dermatologists highly recommend going for products that are labeled fragrance-free. It is better not to fall for the ‘unscented’ products because these usually have chemicals that hide or neutralize the smell of other ingredients. Such chemicals tend to irritate your sensitive, dry skin.
Also, it is better not to use the kind of skincare products that have the following ingredients:
- AHA (Alpha-hydroxy acid)
- Alcohol (except hand sanitizers)
- Fragrance (comprising of deodorant soaps)
It is better to avoid these products because these help the skin hold on to its natural oils.
6. Gloves to keep your hands soft during winters
Your hands are usually that first place where you get to see dry skin. One way to reduce raw, dry skin is to put on gloves right before:
- Stepping out in the winters
- Carry out tasks that need your hands to get wet
- You put greases, chemicals, and other such substances on the hands
7. Select hypoallergenic laundry detergent and clothes
When your skin is raw and dry, even laundry detergent and clothes can feel irritating on them. In order to avoid this:
- Wear something made of silk or cotton underneath if your clothes contain wool or any other material that tends to feel rough.
- Check whether the label on the laundry detergent mentions ‘hypoallergenic’
8. Avoid staying too long near any heat source
Staying for too long in front of any kind of open flame or such heat source tends to dry out your skin. So, cozying up in front of a fireplace for hours is not a good idea for you.
Book appointment online and talk to a dermatologist
If you suffer from a severe case of dry skin, it is better to talk to a dermatologist, along with following all the tips mentioned above. Regardless of how dry your skin is, it can appear glowing if yo